When cleaning your home, you pay more attention to some areas than others. For instance, you might go to great lengths to make your bedroom shine and impress your visitors. The rest of the property may get neglected in the process, including the attic.
It may seem it would take forever to tidy up your attic, but not if you follow the advice from seasoned home cleaning services in Yelm, WA. That’s exactly what we’ll provide! Coming up is a 3-step guide to handling a dusty attic. Read on!
How do I get rid of thick dust in my attic?
When tackling your attic, you don’t want to make the same mistakes as inexperienced maids who fail to deliver expected results. Like when dealing with a pet mess in your home, you need to be thorough. Take these steps to leave no stone unturned:
Step 1 – Put on your mask
The attic is an often neglected space with heavy dust build-up. You’re bound to face airborne contaminants and allergens throughout the area. Mold spores might have also made their way to the area. To reduce the risk of health issues, put on a mask before entering your attic. It’ll keep you from inhaling harmful substances.
Step 2 – Declutter
You probably store items you no longer need in the attic. Over time, the pile grows to a considerable size and takes up a large portion of the room. This can be a problem because it keeps you from accessing all parts of your attic.
Therefore, haul out the clutter and find a new place for the objects. Relocate any furniture, boxes, and other items to your garage or backyard. If you can’t donate or sell them, throw them away. Additionally, push heavier units from one corner to the other, so you can clean one section at a time.
Step 3 – Purge dust
Once all the clutter is out of the way, you can start dusting your attic. Here’s what your routine should include:
- Dust wooden beams and other large surfaces.
- Use a heavy-duty duster with extension arms to reach every nook and cranny.
- Remove dust from ceiling fans, frames, walls, and windows. A great way to do so is to employ an electrostatically charged duster. Use slow strokes to keep dust from recirculating in the air.
- Vacuum the floor.
How often should you clean the attic?
In most cases, you should clean your attic at least once per year. Do it when it’s not too hot or cold if you don’t have air conditioning in the area. You’ll be able to declutter and dust the place more easily.
However, you might need to scour your attic more often if you notice any of the following problems:
- Fold smells – If you can’t get rid of bad smells from the attic, it might be time to dust and scrub the area. The odors can come from various sources, such as rotting food, pest droppings, mold, water damage, and plants.
- Super-dusty home – If your house is dustier than usual, it might have to do with heavy dust accumulation in the attic. The particles can reach your HVAC system, distributing them all over your home.
- Health issues – Pollen and pet dander aren’t the only two allergens triggering your coughing or sneezing. The dust coming from the attic might be another culprit. Therefore, if you’re having similar health issues, consider tidying up the attic.
Why should you book premium home cleaning services in Yelm, WA? You can finally take a break from housework!
Cleaning your attic and other parts of your home takes a lot of time and energy. You’d rather see a movie at Yelm Cinemas than expose yourself to dust and other allergens. You can do precisely that by outsourcing the work to American Maid Service of Olympia.
Contact us, and we’ll handle all the attic mess for you. We can also make your garage look good as new with comprehensive methods and top-quality tools. Schedule your appointment and say goodbye to housework!